Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:12:29 EDT
From: "bigchalk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Wonders of the Web (W.O.W.)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

bigchalk's W.O.W. Newsletter
Week of September 9 - September 15, 2002
http://www.bigchalk.com

Welcome to this week's issue of W.O.W.
(Wonders of the Web), sponsored by
AICPA.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/cpas02

Each week, bigchalk brings you links to a select
group of fun, theme-oriented Web sites to help
you get through your weekend and beyond.

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
Let the AICPA help you show your students how
to make a difference -- one business at a time.
Click here to receive great teaching tools.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/cpas02

THIS WEEK'S THEME: Crowns

This week's W.O.W. is fit for a king or queen!

1. What's a Crown?
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023601

No matter how much you dread going to the dentist, it
could be way more painful to ignore your teeth in the
long run! A trip to the dentist may be needed if you've
damaged your "crown," or the part of your tooth above
the gum. Find out more about this procedure with bigchalk.

++ Teaching & Learning Link
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023601LL

--

2. Archimedes & The Golden Crown
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023602

Back in the first century B.C., a very wise man named
Archimedes refused to be swindled. By using water, a
bathtub and a whole lot of brain power, he was able
to prove that a particular gold crown was not, in fact,
pure gold. Find out more about Archimedes and his Law
of Buoyancy.

++ Teaching & Learning Link
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023602LL

--

3. The Corona
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023603

The upper atmosphere of the sun is called the solar
corona. The solar corona begins at the visible disk
of the sun and extends outward to the earth. Find
out more about the sun and how closely our earth
depends upon it.

++ Teaching & Learning Link
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023603LL

--

4. Crown of Africa
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023604

Mount Kilimanjaro, known as the Crown of Africa, is
Africa's highest mountain and the tallest freestanding
mountain in the world. The mountain consists of three
volcanoes: Shira, Mawenzi and Kibo. Find out more about
this majestic peak and the brave people who climb it.

++ Teaching & Learning Link
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023604LL

******************ADVERTISEMENT*******************
Give your kids the best tools and we'll
give the PTA $$...
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/msftpta02

5. Coronation of the Kings & Queens of England
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023605

It is no small ordeal to coronate a new king or queen
of England. There are lists and lists of steps and
procedures that must be performed before the coronation
is fully recognized. Read more about the history of
this complicated process.

++ Teaching & Learning Link
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023605LL

--

6. The Crown Jewels
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023606

The crown jewels are a collection of bejeweled crowns,
robes and other regalia that is used during the
coronation ceremonies in England. The same items have
been used since 1660! The jewels are part of the
English national heritage and are held by the Queen
as sovereign.

++ Teaching & Learning Link
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023606LL

--

7. 3-D Crown Technique
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023607

Have you ever described yourself as regal, kinglike,
queenlike or just simply exceptional? If so, your
wardrobe just won't be complete until you add an
official crown. Learn how to craft a crown that is
worthy of your royal head!

++ Teaching & Learning Link
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023607LL

--

8. Thoroughbred Racing
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023608

Thoroughbred horses did not exist as a breed until
the 18th century, when three stallions -- the Byerley
Turk, the Darley Arabian and the Godolphin Barb --
were carefully bred to pass along their characteristics.
Today thoroughbreds are widely popular sport horses
and can be seen running annually in the three legs of
the Triple Crown.

++ Teaching & Learning Link
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/W-023608LL

*****************ADVERTISEMENT*******************
Find great ideas for your finance curriculum and
win fantastic prizes for your classroom with
VISA's Practical Money Skills for Life Educator
Challenge. Hurry -- enter by September 30!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/moneyskills02

BIGCHALK CALENDAR

Substitute Teacher Appreciation Week

Take time out this week to say thanks to substitute
teachers everywhere. These professional pinch hitters
help teachers keep their kids on-task when they're
away from their classroom. Connect to bigchalk's
collection of substitute-teaching links to help subs
make the grade! Includes links to emergency lesson
plans, activities, tips from other subs and more.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/subteachap

COLLEGE ZONE

Read advice about getting into the college of your choice
from myFootpath's admissions counselor in bigchalk's
College Zone.

This week's question: "This year will be the first year
my school will have AP Calculus and AP Physics. I'm going
to be a history major, so these classes do not help at
all. Will this hurt my chances of getting into the college
I want?"
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/czone01

BIGCHALK WEB SITE OF THE MONTH

September 11 Digital Archive

"I first heard the news while working on my algebra
homework. My teacher came in looking nervous, and she
announced to us that a plane had crashed into the World
Trade Center, but she wasn't sure if it was accidental
or not." We all know where we were the morning of
September 11, 2001. Many of us were at school as the
day got under way. Others were in their cars on their
way to the office. No matter where you were on 9.11, you
have a tale to tell. The September 11 Digital Archive is
a central repository that collects, preserves and presents
these stories, as told by individuals from around the
world. Parents, teachers and students can their stories
to the collection, read others, view video and audio clips,
study Weblogs, link to dozens of related 9.11 anniversary
Web sites and more.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/sept02site

SEARCH BOX

Want an easy way to give students and parents instant
access to the Internet's largest, most up-to-date
directory of learning sites? Add a free bigchalk search
box to your Web pages. Users can search our collection
by keyword and filter their query by grade level.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/bcsearchbx

**********************ADVERTISEMENT***********************
Ready for a break from lesson planning and
grading assignments? Take a minute to enter
bigchalk's Back to School Blast! You could
win great prizes from OfficeMax.com, Adobe
and VeryBestKids.com.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/btscontest

Thank you for reading this week's W.O.W. newsletter.

Be sure to preview each link and try any
included projects or experiments before
using them with your students. All Web
sites included in this publication are
subject to the bigchalk Linking Policy.
http://www.bigchalk.com/corp/linkpolicy.html

We offer several newsletters of interest to
students, parents, teachers and Web surfers.
To find out more, link to our newsletter
signup page today.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/signupw

To find out more about bigchalk, connect
to our Web site:
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/bchomew

Looking for an archive of all past W.O.W.
sites arranged by theme? Connect to our
W.O.W. Collection today.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/wc

If you have any questions or comments,