On 18/04/2014, at 4:58 AM, Thomas Lübking wrote:

> On Donnerstag, 17. April 2014 20:32:17 CEST, Luigi Toscano wrote:
>> Ian Wadham ha scritto:
>>
>>> Sorry it has been such a while since you wrote.  A lot of water has
>>> flowed under the bridge since then, but this issue is still of the utmost
>>> importance to MacPorts.  See:
>>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/KDEProblems/KDETickets ...
>>
>> Thanks for looking into it, just to question here:
>> - did you try to just disable that line? It's certainly less "breaking" than
>> try to rewrite a tool where locale support have been rewritten in KF5.
>
> If removing the KLocale() constructor avoids it, i'm fairly sure it will be
> the bogus CFStringGetLength call, so to me it would seem more reasonable to
> protect convert_CFString_to_QString
>
> kdelibs/kdecore/kernel/kkernel_mac.cpp
> -----------
>
> QString convert_CFString_to_QString(CFStringRef str) {
> +    if (str == NULL) {
> +        return QString();
> +    }
>
> eventually print a warning (while i've no idea what this condition implies,
> like eg. a broken setup. It could be a bug in CFStringRef or CFLocaleGetValue
> or either isn't re-entrant or whatever)

That is undoubtedly worth doing, but might not solve the whole problem.
See my reply to Luigi.  Briefly, this is where the crash was in the only
backtrace we have ever had. There might be other crash-points.

> And no, forking the application seems the worst option (remember Ian, you'd
> have to maintain that fork ;-)

Not in my philosophy, Horatio … :-)

Of course, if I made such a change I would take responsibility for it for as
long as
I am able, but what then?  I am getting rather old now …

In my philosophy, also in the salaried part of the computer industry and FAIK
in free
products like Firefox, maintenance is a *group* responsibility.  It has been so
since
the late 1960s and early 1970s. This is backed up by standards about
"maintainability"
which, if followed, allow anybody to pick up anybody else's code and maintain
it.  In fact,
maintenance can then become what KDE calls a "junior job".  If you do well at
it, you can
become a developer … :-)  In the bad old days, people often used to quit an
organisation
and leave behind unfinished, buggy or unreadable code, which caused major grief
for their successors ...

A few times I have been contacted by an organisation for which I used to work
and have
always, as a professional, provided whatever advice I could --- and for free.
But it was
clear that the maintenance responsibility lay with my former group, not with me.

Lecture over … :-)

Cheers, Ian W.