--- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am using build 2008-0416-r982 and have run into a problem.
> I place my components and ran FreeROUTE.  It did quite well with only
> one trace unrouted.  I manually routed the remaining trace and saved.
>  Unfortunately I now see two problems.  First, when I start Gerbview
> and load the edges layer, the edges show full screen.  When I Inc
> layer and load Gerber file, the next layer shows zoomed way out.  This
> is a minor problem since I can zoom in.  My big problem is that when I
> check the Gerbers using another program, GC-Preview, I get an error
> message XY value in file ... exceeds allowable range.  Try again using
> offsets of -5911.80000 inches X, 0.000000 inches Y?
>
> Anyone have some ideas?  I am not sure if this is caused by Kicad beta
> or FreeROUTE.

FreeROUTE does not generate your gerber files, however in theory the
Back Import or Freeroute could be giving you a bad board on that
return trip.  So your task is to decide which of the two areas is
responsible for the problem:

1) Freeroute or the back import.

or

2) The gerber file export of Kicad.

What does the routed board look like *before exporting* the gerbers in
pcbnew?  Use autozoom to see if there is maybe a stray component or
element or drawing fragment way off the board.   Change colors so you
have maximum contrast so that in pcbnew you are SURE no such component
exists.   What does the border look like before exporting to gerbers.

If all is well at this point, then the problem is in item 2) above.

If the board looks odd or has a bad boundary before exporting the
gerbers, then the problem is in 1).

Dick