A few thoughts about this...

You do NOT want a database anywhere near Kicad.

Fair enough if you want to create a database that REFERENCES parts and
modules, but such a system should play no part in the operation of Kicad.
I have seen far too many situations where over engineered systems fail,
particularly during upgrade operations, where database links get broken
and it's almost impossible to get them working again. Kicad is used by
many different types of people of different abilities, and if there
is one thing that I have come to appreciate over the years, is that the
KISS principle of operation is much safer. A separate system that helps
manage things is fine, something that Kicad becomes DEPENDANT on is not.

The ability to manage libs and modules is already built into
Kicad. Both parts and modules can be imported and exported individually.
Also entire libs can be added. So it really comes down to a choice, the
used can either select an entire library to be downloaded or get the
individual libs and modules.

I would agree that the method of adding libs and modules and various
parts within them could do with some improvement, to make the process a
little easier, that would be nice, but that's a fairly minor requirement.
The biggest problem at the moment is when you download a lib, say during
an upgrade, this overwrites any parts that you may have added to that
lib. Once you learn to keep parts that you have added in a different lib
then the problem goes away, but it's still a problem. It would be better
in terms of part management to have a method that allowed a lib or mod to
be updated without overwriting additions and modifications.

With any system that shares things, there is a very important area that
MUST be managed CAREFULLY. That is the issue of copyright. Without
getting into all the possible issues, lets me just say that you must be
VERY VERY careful as to the source of any part shared in such a system.
As one crude example, just think if some kind soul converted the parts
and modules from another PCB design package and then decided to share
them. Even collections of parts and modules published for use by
manufacturers have a copyright to them.

Just be careful on this aspect.

Another issue that comes to mind, is what I would call the "fittness for
purpose" A part and module that I design, while perfectly suitable for my
needs may well not be suitable for someone else. How can any particular
part or module be certified and for what use?

Andy