Joerg wrote:

> Yes, that could be the method but you'd have to send the whole
> directory. I only tried to use schematics, not projects, and there it
> didn't work without the proper libraries.
An useful thing could then be an "exporter" that saves all the project
files w/ the components used in a single file that could be sent.
Standard libraries could be left out to reduce the size, but only as
long as there won't be changes in them. Probably better to include
standard parts too and have a completely self-contained file, to be sure
future upgrades won't break existing projects.

Saving the parts used w/ every schematic or board is IMHO not really
useful and wastes a lot of resources (disk, ram, cpu time).

But please always keep multi-user systems in mind: generally speaking
it's a really bad idea to let the users write to the standard libraries.
Every user should only modify his files. Even M$ understood that with
Vista. Making "libraries shared between users" is non something KiCAD
should do. The SO is there to enforce those things (more or less).

BYtE,
  Diego.