Hi Marc

Misspellings and other issues in translations can have several reasons.

- Real misspellings in Pootle. They can be fixed directly on
translate.koha-community.org , e.g. for de-DE or de-CH

Today I have made corrections for the tests of about 20 Koha system preferences in the german translation. Since this is a quite tiresome process I decided to continue later.

- Inconsistencies in vocabulary (like the one you mention with the
German translation of categories).

- Wrong syntax because of sentence splitting by html tags in the
template files. I tried to fix a couple of them to make translation
smoother (Do a search after 'translatability' in Bug tracker) . I'm
quite sure there are more such sentence splittings and other template
issues to fix. They will have to go through the bug cycle (file a bug,
fix it, get a sign-off, QA...)

- Ambiguous words (same word in English - several meanings in
translations). A related bug is: Bug 11285 - Vocabulary disambiguation

I had already contact with Katrin Fischer about these subjects. It doesn't seem like there could be a true solution to such inbred translation problems - so I will just live with them and be happy to at least correct some misspellings.

To me it seems the problem is not the translation but the techniques that are used to inject the various languages. Since these cannot be changed in the near future it makes no sense to me to invest too much time.

You write that you have collected quite a lot of misspellings. It would
be interesting to have a list of your findings. Can you file a bug with
your list? We can then figure out how to fix (Pootle, changes to
templates...), and use this bug as umbrella.

I have just corrected them in the German translation (de-DE).

PS: As you probably know I'm helping with the German translation, and
back in 2012 I initiated the German translation with Swiss orthography
(mainly for school libraries). The work flow for the Swiss version
depends on the German version. If you have questions, feel free to get
in touch directly.

So I hope the my corrections will kind of "automatically" find their way into the Swiss German (de-CH) translation. Though, so far I'm not using or promoting this translation.

Best wishes: Michael
T 0041 (0)61 261 55 61 · E m...@adminkuhn.ch · W www.adminkuhn.ch