Brad Beyenhof wrote:
On 6/6/08, Tracy R Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Tracy R Reed wrote:

Don't forget the EEE PC and the OLPC and a couple new ultra-portable
laptops that are coming out with Linux pre-installed. There have been
 This looks cool:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/06/05/asus.eee.monitor.photo/

I've been looking around at the "netbook"/"mini ultraportable"
machines lately.
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_subnotebooks>)

Right now my top choices for possible purchase are the HP Mini-Note
(SUSE, already available), the Dell Mini-Inspiron (Ubuntu, in
production), the Acer Aspire One (Linpus Linux, in production), and
the MSI Wind (SUSE, in production). My main considerations are high
resolution--especially vertical--and low cost.

IIRC, the touchpad on the HP comes in for some major bashing. The reviews liked everything else on the HP, but the touchpad was *soooo* bad that they actually nuked it overall.

The Wind is an Atom-based computer, IIRC. The reviews about that have been pretty disappointing. Apparently, the Atom is way underpowered even relative to a much older Celeron of the same frequency and has major trouble playing video.

The soldered on the mainboard flash chips which are part of the Eee PC give me pause. If the motherboard goes, you can't even *erase* your stuff off it before sending it in for repair. I find that a bit disconcerting.

I've been staring at these a bit, but I think I'm going to let things simmer a bit longer. Especially in lieu of all of the announcements recently coming out of Computex. We'll see which ones aren't vapor shortly.

As a side note, I noticed that the Best Buy on Mira Mesa was selling the Eee PC.

-a

--
KPLUG-List@kernel-panic.org