At 01:24 PM 3/24/2013, you wrote:
>If you built the horizontal stab per plans to be only 5/8" thick,
>I'm not sure if the MAC servo will fit inside either h/s or
>elevator. It'll be a tight fit, for sure.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My horizontal stab and elevator are built to plans and the Ray Allen
trim motor is mounted in the elevator, right next to the elevator
spar.  The very short run from the motor to the tab is very rigid
with zero movement in the trail edge of the tab.  A quick look at the
Ray Allen site indicates the servo is 1 inch thick. I measured the
elevator spar and it is right at 1 3/4 inches thick.  I had removed
the original setup with cables that are indicated in the plans
because I didn't like the slop in the system.  My indicator quit
working after just a few flight hours but I've never bothered to
replace it.  The final approach trim setting seems to work just fine
for departure also.  Anyway, you don't trim to a setting on an
indicator, you trim to eliminate control pressure so who needs an
indicator anyway.  As I recall, I hogged out some foam and glued a
small piece of ply to the foam for the base, then used short small
screws to mount the servo.  Don't over build the assembly as the
forces are not that great.  The hinge in the plans, tube in a tube,
is very light and works well.  Just make sure the epoxy used to mount
the stationary tube doesn't get inside the movable tube.  Don't ask
me how I know.  Just start over and try it again. :-) Something like
Vaseline on the end of the moveable tube might work.

I made a quick trip to the airport and took a few photos but couldn't
get them to down size under 100K so if anyone wants some photos,
e-mail me off net at  flesner at frontier.com or if someone wants to
post them I'll e-mail them to you.  Thanks..........

Be advised, If you mount the unit in the elevator, or any movable
surface, it may / will effect control surface balance and could
change flutter characteristics.  In my case my elevator is balanced.

Larry Flesner