I wore my first Tiny Tach out after more than fifteen years.  The battery
eventually died and is not replacable.  I called Tiny Tach with a
question and to order another one and darned if they didn't just send me
a new one.  Free.

When I put new electronic ignition wires on I had to fiddle with the
number of windings wrapped around the new Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2 mm 40
oHm wires.  These tires are shielded extremely well yet, at 40 oHms,
offer practically no resistance.  My old wires, also Taylor, were very
old and putting new ones on made a world of difference.  Radio clarity
actually improved despite the OWT that resistance wires are necessary to
prevent RF and EMI interference.

This was such a clear reminder that ignition wires wear out - no matter
how nice they may look on the outside - that I replaced the wires on the
car at the same time.  The wires on my daily driver - a 1982 Suzuki
GS850G - are 34 years old and have 40K on them and the bike still starts
instantaneously so maybe bike wires are made better - probably solid core
copper.  It's the ferrite or carbon core wires that break down over time.
 Shielding also breaks down over time so despite the fact it runs like a
Swiss watch the Suzuki could probably use some new wires.

So . . . back to TT.  Initially I complained to the group about the
trouble I was having getting the tach to register reliably.  Mark replied
that he had had the same problem with TT and had given up on it (if I
recall correctly).

It took a bit of experimentation (not all that much overall) but I
finally got the winding correct and TT has been operating fine ever
since.  I made no cuts in my Taylor wire shielding - the only variable
was the number of windings of the TT lead around the plug wire.  Make
sure you've got a good ground with the other lead.

Keep playing with the windings and you'll get it working.  I am in awe of
Tiny Tach - both of their reliability and customer service.

Mike
KSEE
Laser147 at Juno.com

Warning: Don't Diet Before You See This