Maybe I suffer from dumb luck or perhaps my memory isn't so good, but I don't
recall having any issues with the one I had, although I did think the battery
was a bit short lived.  When the battery dies, the accumulated engine time
resets to -0-, but otherwise was simple enough to remedy with a fresh battery.

Perhaps the difference is that the magneto simply fires once and isn't nearly
so hot of a spark as you'll see coming off a high energy coil like you run in
on the Corvair.  I don't know about yours, but some of the high performance and
high energy ignition modules are designed to maintain the spark a bit longer,
which might really mess with the inductive pickup of something like the Tiny
Tach as the inductive pickup might see multiple pulses to maintain the spark.

As best I recall the question was about getting tach data on a magneto fired VW
without attaching directly to the points.  Without some sort of gear drive, or
a pulse counter on the back of the spinner, an inductive pickup gets down to
the final of choice.  Some of us have used it successfully in that exact
application.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM

Don't waste your money on the Tiny Tach.  I bought three or four of them and
finally gave up.
------ most of comment deleted to save space ------
Put your money into something
that will be accurate and last, and you'll be way ahead...

Mark Langford

Click here for free information on business phone systems from top companies.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTQZaoRsJWeYVZVTxboEqccCwHeVC313RRpAUZCrkwkH8y8lsfGRmI/