Jef wrote:

> I'm not even a newby, just a Wannabe Newby.  But if I was a Newby and
wanted an engine for my potential KR2s project and I thought a Corvair
engine would be a good choice, would I be wise to look for a 180 turbo?  Or
would a 110hp or other Corvair be just fine, considering I would have an
engine builder go through it & build it to certain souped-up specs?  <

You don't want a 180 hp Corvair engine.  Save that for the Corvair fanatics,
who all want one a lot worse than you do!  Just about any 1965 or later 110
will do, and some 95s, but no 140's.  There are several good sites you can
visit for more info on which engine you need.  Start with
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/donors.html , which has links to
several more.  And be sure to buy William Wynne's manual first thing.  It
has all the answers.  I wish I had a dollar for every sad story about people
who've bought an engine or two before buying his manual, and then discovered
they had a boat anchor.  If somebody GIVES you a 140 or a 180, by all means
take it, and then trade parts with a car fanatic and you'll come out ahead
in the end...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see homebuilt airplane at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net