Mark Jones wrote:

> I have a couple of VW props that I was thinking about having SAE-1 bolt
> pattern drilled into them. This would allow us to test the prop on both VW
> and Corvair. What are your thoughts on having two bolt patterns on the
same
> prop?

I was going to do exactly that to big VW/small Corvair props back when I was
going to do the prop bank myself.  My prop is a Sterba that was drilled for
both patterns by Sterba at the request of the original owner, Steve Makish.
Aircraft Spruce sells a steel SAE1 "crush plate" that could be taken to a
machine shop and also drilled for the VW pattern, which could then be used
as a drill template with a drill press to open up the VW holes, or visa
versa.  I would drill it from the back side to make sure the bolts line up
with the flange, just in case the drill press isn't exactly perpendicular to
the table.

Another consideration is the size of the clearance hole in the back of the
prop.  I think it was 2.0" when I got it (for VW), and it needed to be 2.25"
for my Corvair prop hub, so I enlarged it with a forstner bit.

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see homebuilt airplane at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net