Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 22:16:10 -0500

From: "Mark Langford" <n5...@hiwaay.net>

Subject: KR> flying

To: "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>

      reply-type=original

NetHeads,

I've been doing a little bit of flying myself.  Considering we were

surrounded by thunderstorms, yesterday was a pretty smooth flying day.  I

got in about 3 hours, first doing climbs, glides, and stalls, then adding

gap seals and repeating the process.  Bottom line is that I could tell no

appreciable difference in climb rate (and I have some pretty accurate data,

gathered while maintaining 95mph in each climb, plus or minus a mph or two

either way).  Stall speed might have dropped a mph or two.  Top speed

appears to have improved slightly.  I'll have to dig up the E6B to find out

exactly how much, but it's not much.  I attribute this to the care I

exercised fairing the ailerons and split flaps into the wing (details near

the bottom of http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/owings.html ).  Building

ailerons per the plans yields a big fat gap at the bottom and that  begs for

gap seals.  One odd thing is that the stalls are now preceeded by some

noticeable buffeting, which is new, and I'd swear it climbs with less

fuselage angle and lands easier (I greased about 5 in a row at FYM), but

these are probably my imagination.

I'm up to 519 KR "landings" (and still only on the second set of tires!) and

210.9 hours of KR time (sorry, Larry).  Maybe I'll get some more in

tomorrow, as I plan to buzz up to MRC to visit Troy Petteway, a 20 minute

flight...