Larry said: but I recall that there is no aerodynamic gain in covering the
>opening with the RAF48 airfoil.
>
>It is my understanding that regardless of airfoil, that the primary benefit,
>and reason for the wing gap seals for ailerons is for the benefit to climb
>rate.
>Colin Rainey

What I said was:

"The bottom needs to be open when using the piano hinge
to get the correct downward deflection.  Some have covered
the opening with a gap seal (easily done) but I recall that
there is no aerodynamic gain in covering the opening with
the RAF48 airfoil."

It's the bottom opening that I was talking about.  The hinge
closes the top and provides the aileron gap seal to eliminate
airflow from bottom to top or vise versa at the wing trail edge.

I recall someone testing both the RAF48 and the new airfoil
and found no aerodynamic benefit  when closing the bottom
aileron gap on the RAF48 airfoil.  There was, as I recall, a
benefit with the new airfoil in the climb rate.

It's been a while so I could be in error.  If so, someone will
correct me.

Larry Flesner