Yes, it is a bridge rectifier..  If you use two of the four diodes within,
you'll have the results I had mentioned.  These are cheap and mass
produced.  I have been a full time electronics technician since 1984, never
have seen one failed. They appear in a lot of equipment in the AC to DC
power conversion circuits (power supply section).  Heavy duty, reliable,
and dirt cheap.  If you check to make sure it's a fast enough part (most
aren't) they'll make a suitable rectifier for an alternator also.  Usually
they are meant for 120 switching events per second or less as a normal
speed (60hz).  Depending on design an alternator might need to switch
several thousand times a second (that high pitched whine you might have
heard).

jg