FWIW, the Mercury Outboard engine I had used that same bridge rectifier to rectify the AC output from the Dynamo to DC, then was regulated downstream from there with a voltage regulator.  One side of the Dynamo coils failed with the other side still working, effectively making the rectifier a half bridge.  That caused the voltage regulator to go to full voltage driving the voltage to 18V.  I smoked a number of those rectifiers, a voltage regulator, and 3 CDI modules before I finally found the problem in the dynamo coils.  So, no, those bridges won't survive long if they are running at full current capability.  But that kind of demand is rare unless there is another problem driving it.

-Jeff Scott
Arkansas Ozarks

Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 3:55 PM
From: "John Gotschall via KRnet" <krnet@list.krnet.org>
To: "KRnet" <krnet@list.krnet.org>
Cc: "John Gotschall" <johngotsch...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: KRnet> Multi subject. VW2180 magneto, electronic ignition and more

So I think someone said they had seen one of those big recifiers failed in a golf cart charger?

I can imagine that, a 50 amp rectifier running near 50 amps pushing a golf cart battery might fail.  I have never been tasked to repair a golf cart charger.  The larger battery and lift fork truck chargers I have serviced use a different higher current rectifier with heat sinks.

It's unlikely to have that 50 amp load situation pulling only 5 amps or so for ignition through that 50 amp rated rectifier.  1/10th the load rating is a pretty safe operating arena.  I hope that electric ignition does not pull more than a few amps?  If it pulls 50 something else is wrong (it's on a fuse or breaker?)

Jg