> Typographically speaking, ’ *is* the correct character. The use of
> so-called straight or typewriter apostrophes (and quotes) in computing is
> basically restricting oneself to a limitation that is no longer justified
> in Unicode-age. So in my view, the changing should ultimately go the other
> way: ' → ’ (or ‘ where needed), and " → “”.

+1.

I am actually planning to update the rest of strings in LibreOffice to
use the correct characters, but I guessed I had already annoyed the
other translators too much for this version, so that would be in 4.5.

In case you guys didn’t know, Apple [1], Microsoft [2] and GNOME [3]
are all recommending the use of typographical apostrophes and
quotation marks, among other characters that have been historically
replaced with ASCII imitations, such as the multiplication sign (×)
being incorrectly written with a Latin lowercase X, or three periods
(...) standing for the ellipsis (…).

Adolfo

--
[1]: https://help.apple.com/asg/mac/2013/#apsg1f285cbc