Hi Yury, *,

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Yury Tarasievich
<yury.tarasiev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, as Adolfo tells us, it's "bah" to Windows users". However, Linux's
> en_US keymap (which I'm using right now) also does not have any of mentioned
> glyphs on the compose key.

Compose sequences should be the same regardless of keybloard layout,
you probably mean they're not accessible using group-switch key
(altGr) directly. (they are indeed not in the crippled plain en-US
layout, but are in the international layout)
But compose sequences are also available:
compose, apostroph, less/greater (or compose, less/greater, apostroph,
order usually doesn't matter with compose sequences)

i.e.
compose, ', > → ’
compose, ', < → ‘

same with the double quotation marks: compose, ", <less/greater>
compose, ", > → ”
compose, ", < → “

compose, >, > and compose << will give » and «

But with a keyboard-layout that actually makes use of the different
groups, you can also enter it with <altGr>[+<shift>]+<whateverkey>,
shift usually switching between the single or double variants ( ›‹ vs
»« and “” vs ‘’ for example)

> I'm heavily using several fancy glyphs input add-ons in LO itself, and I
> tell you, it's not all fun.

>> I agree this will be annoying, because at the very least, the localizers
>> will have to re-approve a lot of their old translations when these
>> changes land. At least in the case of "don't" though, maybe this change
>> could be automated, if we ask Andras or Christian nicely? :)

Well, the only thing that can be done is to apply the old strings
despite the typographic changes, i.e. do a run that maps all
typographic quotes back to simple variants and then try to find an old
translation for that string and apply it.
In other words: Change the English string to typographic quotes, and
take the translations from the non-typographic variant.

So translators wouldn't need to retranslate, but also wouldn't see
what strings did change.

ciao
Christian