We had the discussion on peeling onions with watering eyes on our local
radio station this morning - obviously worldwide news :-)

I don't know what the fuss is - I've never cried when peeling, slicing or
chopping onions. It's the root which contains the zest that makes eyes
water. I do it the way chefs do:

Cut the onion in half from top to root (or not if you want onion rings).

Cut off the top (of each half if you've halved it).

Peel the outer layers off.

For onion rings, starting from the top just cut slices to within half an
inch of the root, and discard the root.

For chopped onions, place the half onion on a chopping board, cut slits
right through to the board running from top to root, but keep clear of the
root by about half an inch. Then you can make cuts parallel with the
chopping board from the top towards the root, but I don't bother with that
bit. Cut slices starting at the top to within half and inch of the root and
discard the root.

Jean in Poole
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED]