Dear Lace Chatters,

Jean Nathan wrote:-

> (snip)
> They said was that people who move to another region keep using some of
the
> words from their region of origin to hang on to their roots, but that it
> isn't done consciously.

My husband says that I regain my Lancashire accent when I'm visiting my home
area, and I notice that he regains his in Wiltshire:  neither of us were
conscious of this until it was pointed out.

> Additionally, words are introduced from other cultures, which most of us
> accept. The French tried to exclude foreign words from their language but
> haven't managed to prevent words like "le football" and "le punk" from
> coming into common usage. (snip)

Is it true that this phrase exists in French:  "le parking acoustique"?  Or
is it just an English joke, describing those who don't park by eye, but
rather by ear?

Linda Walton,
(in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, U.K.,
where it's a beautiful morning,
but decidedly an Autumn morning).

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]