Since this thread seems to be still running, I just want to add my "thrupence".
What about the verb to hang, which has got 2 past tenses hanged and hung, which
mean different things? The original English was to hang, hung(past), hung(past
participle). When did we start using hanged? Is it another American usage,
since they seem to have done a lot of it during the "cowboys and Indians" era,
at least according to popular literature? :-))

As for accents, my DH always moans because I don't have a French accent when I
speak English, and would love me to. I learnt English in France and England and
came to Australia when I was 21. When I'm in England, the English seem to pick
some Australian whiff, and they ask me not "Are you Australian?", but "Do you
live in Australia?", which I think is a nice distinction. However, neither them
nor any other English speaker seems to be able to pick that I am French.
According to where they come from, they ask whether I am South African,
Canadian, New Zealander...It's quite funny to see their face when I say I'm
French! They get even more confused since I'm from the South of France and look
more Italian or Spanish than the archetypal French.

While I'm writing, I'll say hello to everyone. I'm back home after 2 1/2 months
"home" in France, and slowly picking up the threads of normal life. You'll nev
er guess how pleased DH and I were to feel cold and wet on our first day back!!
After 2 weeks, the novelty has worn off a bit...

I'll send a brief note about my trip, but we didn't do anything "lacy", so it
will be brief! Mind you, I managed to buy some books, including Mick
Fouriscot's 3rd volume on Lace (sort of encyclopedia) which had just come out.
By for now,

Helene, the froggy from Melbourne, Australia.

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]