>From Tamara:

<> Then there are words invented by the young find their way into the
> language,
> like "hoodies", which is how the youngsters that gather together on
> street
> corners refer to themselves after the hooded fleece tops they wear.

Are you sure? It's been my understanding that the ethymology of this
one comes from 'hood -- as in neighbourhood>

'Hoodie' in the US might come from neighbourhood, but we tend not to use
that word here. About the only time it's heard is in "Neighbourhood Watch",
where we're all supposedly watching out for crime in our immediate
surroundings. It doesn't happen in practice. Most people don't know who
their neighbours are. I was talking to the lady who lives next door to me
yesterday saying that the only way I see anyone, or we get to know what's
going on, is because I've got a dog who thinks everyone's his friend and
people talk to me because of him. The British reserve isn't a myth - we tend
to keep ourselves to ourselves. In winter you might not see anyone for
months as those who work go leave home in the dark and come home in the
dark. We refer to the area where we live as just that "this area", or just
the district of Poole it's known by "Creekmoor" which covers an area of a
few square miles.

The kids (boys) here probably picked up the word from the US, but, not
knowing anything about neighbourhood, they say it's from their hooded tops.
They gather in their 'gangs' and wear them with the hoods up so they can't
be recognised - they're not always up to no good, it's just what they do.
They'll also put the hoods up if they walk towards someone at night to look
menacing. We've only one group of youngsters in this area, and we all know
who they are, so putting the hoods up to look menacing doesn't actually cut
much ice with the people round here. It's just a teenage thing.

They don't like school uniforms and will do anything to make themselves look
individual, but they're quite happy to wear the current teenage 'uniform'
outside school, currently trainers, crop trousers, hooded top and baseball
cap on back to front, preferably either wearing roller blades or carrying a
skateboard. Girls wear a tight skimpy top and parachute trousers (trousers
with a lot of straps hanging from them).

Jean in Poole

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]