Today is the first day, for the average UK taxpayer, when you can keep the
money you earn - every penny you've earned up to yesterday has been paid to
the government as tax.

You mean, for *5 full months* you've been working for the government? I knew that Brit taxes were ridiculous, but didn't know the extent...

Tax Freedom Day this year is six weeks later than this year in the USA.

We've had a *tax-cut*... Might not have matched the increased cost of day-to-day expenses, but I dare say it did something to improve our statistics (as above) :)

And, with our dollar plunging, and the interest rates ditto, my invested "nest egg" didn't produce enough interest to *merit* taxation; a happy thought... :) Since I don't have school-aged children (who might profit from those taxes), and since I don't plan on getting sick (a national health system, *if* we had any, might have profited from taxes also); since I'm not worried about my pension fund being halved (don't qualify for Social Security; haven't worked enough)... I'm in clover, and in total sympathy with you about your outrageous taxes... :)

There's a new book on Tonder lace coming out in Denmark... 4 yrs ago, it would have cost me $15. Today, it'll cost me $30. Now, *that*, really does irritate me

---
Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
              Healthy US through The No-CARB Diet:
    no C-heney, no A-shcroft, no R-umsfeld, no B-ush.