If you don't want to be locked into a subscribed plan because you don't make
frequent long distance calls, look to see what cheap plan programs exist for
your area.  I dial 101-55-66 before I make long distance calls.  The
discounts are enormous AND the charges are added to the normal phone bill so
payment is just included in with all the other charges.  You have to be
careful because the charges are $1 for 10 or 20 minutes depending on the
plan, so if the person isn't there, you still have to pay $1, and over the
10 or 20 minutes are charged on a per minute basis.  But, if I want to call
to friends in Washington State or North Dakota (my 2 usual North American
destinations), I call first, check the person is home, then immediately call
them back.  The 10-20 seconds it takes to make sure they are home only costs
a few cents.  Then I put on the timer and call them back.

I also use it to call to England every week, where there is no minimum time
limit. A recent 78 minute call to my sister, Jacquie, cost just over $5, and
a 10 minute call to my mum cost just 70 cents.

Malvary in Ottawa (who is so happy that Jacquie and her dragon, Basilick,
were prize winners because mum, my aunts and I are all basking in reflected
glory.)