In theory the title Ms refers to any female and is the equivalent of Mr. In practice, (here in England) nearly all women who choose to use the title Ms are divorced, or at least separated from their husband and so it actually says a lot more about the personal circumstances than Mr does. If you really want your personal situation to be as private as possible be a Mrs. In France all women above "a certain age" mid 20s? are Mme, in Poland all women over 18 are Pani, so why not make all English speaking adult women Mrs. ?

At work I process Adult Education enrolments which includes recording names and addresses. Sometimes it's done from an application form filled in by the student and in that case I'll input whatever title she has chosen, but if I'm inputting directly (face to face or by phone) I never ask for a title although some people give it, I just tick the box for female. That way any computer generated correspondence to that student goes out without a title. Some colleagues routinely tick Ms without asking, but that generates Ms on any forms or address labels and occasionally irks someone.

Brenda