My father had 3 Christian names, and they were such a pain to write out in full on any Official form, that he insisted I only have one - to spare me that problem!

One "title' I hate is Ms. - However I do use it when I don't know if the person is a Miss or Mrs! But everyone knows I am a Mrs, so why don't they use it. I also have mail coming addressed just to Eliz.... Ligeti, without a title at all. -- another of life's little irritants!!

Good Manners seem to have gone out the window these days. I, too, don';t like young children calling me by my first name. It shows a lack of respect for elders. I still call the Dr "Dr." not by his first name - though I think he indicated we could. It is a showing of respect for the position.

There again - I am old fashioned like Thurlow,! (I hope first names are OK on Arachne!! I count everyone on the list as a good friend.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)) )

Addressing folks by their first name in Not just in the US - It is here in Oz, too!

Regards from Liz in Melbourne