Hello all,

Like Mr. Weed, (or perhaps I should call him 'young Thurlow' as I am 3 years older) I too, deplore the use of first names of adults by children. However, it is sometimes difficult to insist that my children call others by their titles. We had some friends who insisted that they be called by their first names. As I informed my children, it is alright to call them Dale and Leslie, since what you call them is a matter of respect and it would be disrespectful to call them Mr. and Mrs. when they don't like it. I am in Canada and have been fighting a losing battle with the name 'thing,' so it isn't just limited to the States.

My children's friends call me Mrs. Sterling (my daughter's name) - even my son's friends! Which is fine by me, as long as they don't use only my first name.

I also believe that everyone is equal, but that respect is something that should be shown and using titles is one way. The only thing I don't like is when someone clings to their title when everyone else is on a first name basis. I have a 'doctor' acquaintance who does that.

Heather (Mrs. Muth)
Abbotsford, BC
After an afternoon spent at White Rock