I thought having a camera in a phone was ridiculous - until we had a particular edition of a Christmas Carol book that everyone in the medieval choir wanted to have, and one fellow whipped out his phone and took a picture of the cover. Since there were several by the same publisher with different covers, it made PERFECT sense.

Texting is lovely when you are someplace with poor cell phone reception, but the texts can get through. My DIL and DD started texting each other when granddaughter Lucy was in the hospital for over a month starting August 31 (she was getting a new liver and turning a year old at the same time) - typical message: "Call when you are awake". A single beep, less annoying than a repeated ring, and they weren't constantly alarmed by phone calls - it was clear a text meant nothing was seriously wrong, just contact desired.