How did we manage before all this technology!!

I often have to phone my home phone on my pay-as-I go mobile just to fulfil the requirement of making one paid-for call every three months to keep it active. I'm afraid I'm old-fashioned and keep my diary, written information, book lists, addresses and phone numbers, conversion charts, lists, and other information in my pocket Filofax and read books made of paper. I have got audio books on an MP3 player, but I fell asleep in the first chapter on he one and only time I tried using it.

I'm much happier with something physical like a map, a book, a pen where I'm totally in charge, and I don't like the way computers are going when you click a button and it "decides" what to do - I'd rather type "print" when I want it to print instead of clicking on a little picture, many of which I can't work out what they're supposed to represent. I don't bank on line because I want to deal with someone face-to-face rather than interface with a machine and I want a paper receipt for any money I hand over, although I do admit to making some payments on line.

Clay wrote:

<When young people live alone, or share an apartment with another single
person, a land phone is not necessary since their cell phone is with
them all the time.>

The how do they get an internet connection for their computer at home? As far as I know for most people here even home wireless broadband connections are via a landline with a wireless hub inside the home - at least everyone I know has that. There are many areas, such as motorway service stations and our local park where a wireless service is available, probably in the universities as well, but I don't know of anyone who has a broadband connection at home who hasn't got a landline.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK