I'd call cable a landline. We have cable running along under the pavement in my street and a cap just outside our wall which would enable the cable company to connect us, but that would mean paid-for TV, phone and internet all in one package. The system we have is paid-for telephone via overhead wires from a telegraph pole to our house to a phone socket to which is connected a telephone and a separately paid-for wireless broadband modem and service - could be with one company for both, but choose not to and we could also have paid-for television through the overhead phone line.

We could choose paid-for TV phone and broadband via satellite, but as the phone is connected to the house, I'd still call that a landline as opposed to a mobile.

Don't think it's possible to have a broadband which doesn't need a phone line of some sort that you're paying for even if it's in a broadband package, even if you don't use it.

We get free television via an aerial on the top of our roof, at the moment both 34 different digital and 4 analogue channels. We could add a free satellite service as well because our main TV has built-in tuners for both free TV via an aerial and satellite, the other two just have free TV both analogue and digital via the aerial. Our area goes completely digital in 2012. We don't pay for TV because we can't see the point for paying for more repeats than we already get. We're thinking of adding free satellite because our aerial signal is quite weak, even boosted and we get some break-up of picture and sound. When we switch completely to full power in 2012 when the analogue signal is switched off, one of the 6 multiplexes won't have the power that the other 5 will have because it would interfere with French TV - to which we say s** the French!

Optical cable has been installed in a large part of the next town for superfast broadband, but that isn't up and running yet, and from what I've heard is going to be very expensive.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK