Jane, Christine Springett's little book, I think called "Designing and mounting
Lace Fans" is a basic guide to this process.

Fountains sell a pleating plan to suit the large fan patterns sold by them
(and, at least some years ago anyway, the small fans used to include the
pleating plan.)

The idea is that the plan is traced onto non-stick interfacing, the lace is
then tacked onto the interfacing and you use the lines drawn on the interfacing
as a guide as to where to press the lace into pleats.   The lace is then
removed from the interfacing, and stuck to the fan sticks.   The interfacing
shouldn't be too heavy as that makes it difficult to see the lines you've drawn
on it, and also makes pressing the pleats difficult.  I use light weight
interfacing myself.

Christine does indeed suggest using a water-soluble wall paper paste, thinned a
bit...however, out here, I found my fans were all coming off the sticks.  By
the time I'd remounted one fan three times I decided that in the heat and
humidity of a Sydney summer, the wall paper paste is not the answer.  I've
since started using a water-soluble craft glue.

Regards, Ruth Budge (Sydney, Australia)

 --- Jane Partridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Some time ago we
were talking about grids for fans - my copy of "Lace"