Hi Jane,
I have made several lace fans and usually use Ann Colliers method for attaching them to the sticks. See page 96 of her book 'Lace Fans' as well as most other of her books. Summarising she says this;
Although most old fan sticks have holes, presumably for stitching, she has never seen an old fan which was stitched to the sticks. Ann uses PVA glue, but does not stick the lace directly to the sticks. Paint the glue onto the sticks and let it 'go off' (dry clear). Then place the lace onto the sticks, spreading it out and arranging them where you want them, and iron the lace onto the sticks, using a medium heat and a cover cloth. It works. Then loosely fold the sticks and lace and keep them in place for 24 hours with a rubber band. This does not make sharp folds which can sometimes spoil the lace design.
Jean in Cleveland U.K.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]