Hi Debra -

I have not flown with a pillow yet...  That's a challenge I
won't mind putting off for a while!!
But I have traveled with other lacemakers, where our
combined luggage barely fit into the trunk of our car.

One of the first things that happened when I started making
lace was that all sorts of things were suddenly analyzed to
determine how they might make my lacemaking easier, more
comfortable, better organized, etc.  And one of my early
"finds" was a pair of foam packing pieces that had probably
been part of the packaging for something like a computer.
The foam isn't suitable for lacemaking...  it's too soft -
more like the spongy stuff we ordinarily associate with the
word "foam".  But it suits me perfectly!  It is about 6 X 12
inches and about 2 inches thick.  There is a rectangle cut
out of the middle, so that it really becomes a frame.  When
I'm traveling with work in progress, I put this foam "frame"
around the pins on the pillow after I have secured
everything but before I pin the cover cloth down.  The foam
helps keep other things from squashing the pins.  It has
worked very nicely for me.  You could easily go to an
unholsterer's and beg a scrap of foam and get him to cut it
for you.  If you're working with something other than
straight lace, you could get the opening cut accordingly.
If your opening has to be more than a couple of inches
across, I think I'd also take a few spare "plugs" of the
foam to fit into the opening and help provide additional
protection.

An alternate option is that my DH brought me a discarded
case designed to hold and protect delicate electronic
instruments (he rescued two, actually...  Tamara got the
second one!)  which is lined with foam.  It won't hold a 20"
pillow, but it might hold 18", and certainly a 16".  I'm
hanging on to this in the event that I want to travel some
distance and need to check a bag containing my pillow.  This
would certainly provide the protection it needed, provided I
add additional padding to hold things in place.  And in the
event that I would want to have a bigger pillow, I think I'd
splurge and purchase an inexpensive 20" cookie, and then cut
it in two places so that it folded like a gate-leg table.
(I'd avoid a center cut, because I don't like working across
the cut).  If the pillow had two cuts, and I made a
backboard with a center fold, the two could be assembled and
held together by a drawstring pillow cover - and the two
parts would combine to be sturdy when assembled.  Even with
work in progress, the backboard could be removed and folded,
the pillow would be folded under itself (with work still in
progress in the center) and it could be safely packed away.

Clay

Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, VA  USA