Hi Debra et al

Whether you are allowed to take your pillow as hand baggage will vary greatly
depending on the airport concerned.  Here in Ottawa, my friend who travels with
a C-PAP (machine to keep him breathing at night) had to unpack it completely,
plug it in to prove it worked etc.etc.  I had to switch on my laptop, camera and
cellphone and drink from the bottle of water I was carrying, and all of the
electronic items were swabbed for testing for explosives.  In Toronto, Vancouver
and Grand Cayman (most recent stops), we were not stopped at all, and in fact
was told to put the camera and laptop back in my bag.  They did do one swab-test
on the laptop in Vancouver.

So, my advice would be to perhaps go to the airport in advance and specifically
ask at the security desk if you would be permitted to take your lace pillow as
hand baggage and do the same for your return.  Be prepared to pack your pillow
on the way back if necessary.

Malvary, in Ottawa where we are also in a deep freeze (-26C at the moment).
Temperatures forecast for tomorrow -32C with a wind chill of -45C