At 03:14 AM 5/11/2004, you wrote:
So, my question is, what generic term do you normally use to describe what I
would think of as a tape lace to make it clear that it is not hand made bobbin
lace but a mix of machine tape and needlelace?

I don't think there is one generic term. Lace names/terms have shifted around through history, and some names were re-used as fashions changed. This has been a problem in studying the history of laces, and trying to learn to recognize the different laces. To complicate things, the lacemakers in the USA learned from teachers who learned in different countries, with different methods, and different terminology. There is no national standard or commonality because of the diverse sources of our learning.

At one point, I heard/read that the laces like Russian were called 'trail' laces. That seemed to make some sense but I haven't heard the term used lately.

The machine tape laces I think of as 'Battenberg style" or 'machine made tape connected with needle made stitches'. In the USA, the term Battenberg is still known, while the other similar lace terms like Princess Louise, Renaissance, Cluny, Branscombe Point, etc. that were common 100 years ago, have faded out. There used to be many fancy tapes made for this purpose but only the Battenberg tapes seemed to survive after WWI, which would explain the survival of this particular type of lace.

Growing up, braid was what was done to hair, cording, horsetails, etc. Platt was a draftsman's layout of a town. If I saw Plait in writing, I thought it as 'plate' but never heard the term used until I started making lace.

I make a point of using the term 'machine made tape' when referring to the Battenberg family of laces. To me, the short term 'tape lace' means hand made laces made with narrow sections of BL. And plait/braid is the CTCTCTC stitch made in BL.

But then, I've always been independent and done things my own way, so my way may not be true for the majority of the USA lacemakers.

Alice in Oregon -- who survived a demo to 100 school age kids yesterday.