>Growing up, braid was what was done to hair, cording, horsetails,
>etc.  Platt was a draftsman's layout of a town.  If I saw Plait in writing,
>I thought it as 'plate' but never heard the term used until I started
>making lace.

I think such terms depend upon where you grew up (or from whom you learned
English) and perhaps where, your Parents, and maybe grandparents grew up.
The US has been settled by such a diversity of peoples that (especially
before TV) patterns of speech are varied from place to place.

I seem to remember ( and my memory is not all that clear in some areas) that
we braided hair, but wore it in plaits. but maybe that was because Virginia
is a border state and gets influenced from both North and South..

I have some  100+ year old letters written by my father's parents. Grandpa's
father was from Cornwall, Eng. and Grandma's family had been in same area in
VA since 1701.  They had both died before I was born, but in
reading their letters, I could "hear" phases and speech patterns of my
father and his sisters.

"Trail" is a term I learned in PG lace for cloth  or half stitch narrow
sections that meander through the ground and other parts of the overall
pattern, if that makes sense..

Louise in Central Virginia