Weronika, quoting Tamara, writes:
> > Which I prefer to see written, because I've, quite
> > consistenly, been mispronouncing it for 47 years (I say: "pleyt",
> > not "plat"). I suppose, on the "if it's flat, it's a plait"
> > principle (might help with my ponounciation too <g>)...
>
> I had no idea it was pronounced like that!  The English language just
> keeps surprising me...

BOTH pronunciations are correct, at least in the U.S.. Merriam-Webster
gives "plate" as the primary pronunciation and "plat" as the secondary.
You can hear the different pronunciations on their online dictionary
entry:
http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=plait
I, too, have always said "plate" and only started hearing "plat" when
studying with teachers from Europe. So it's one of those regional
differences things.

Emma, near Seattle, who learned to speak in California.