Some of us Yanks learned early-on about Milanese from Read and Kincaid, and
so call that (and Russian) "braid lace".  Although it grates on my ear, I've
never heard a decent alternative term to use.

I usually avoid the braid/tape controversy by calling the other kind
"Battenberg family" or "lace made with pre-fab tapes".

Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA