Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:32:57 +1000 (EST)
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Ruth=20Budge?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [lace] Re: lFantasy Flowers
>
> I'm not able to comment on these opinions, as I'm not familiar with either
book
> - - but I do think it is most unfair to make accusations like this when
Rosemary
> is out of the country and can't defend herself.
>
> Ruth Budge (Sydney, Australia)

Dear all,

I do not make any accusations, I simply state a fact. The fact that Rosemary
is out of country is imaterial as someone brought up the news that her book
was published and I was courius to see what the content was.
I think that I am qualified to comment as I studied  and researched over 3
years the class of braid laces and obtained my Proficiency Teacher's
certificate in that category through the Guild.
Jana Novak comes originally from Moravia which is part of Czech Republic.
Her book "Fri Knipling" was published - the copy I own - in 1985 and has a
copyright on it. Fri knipling means - Free lacemaking - which is different
to designing on a grid, this is free form designing.
Jana's work is very much influenced by the eastern culture and she studied
to be graffic designer.
The notes I have from the Fantasy Flowers workshop are dated 1989, 1991 and
1992 and are copyrighted by Rosemary.
What I really find fascinating is that no one has taken the time to compare
the two books and make a constructive comment. What you are all saying is
that it is OK to take someone's work and use it for one's own material gain?
The original designer had to come up with the idea, translate it into a
design and prove that it is workable in lace. A lot of work and I do believe
that we should respect the fact. I am quite sceptical at the suggestion that
two people design the same piece, maybe in Torchon but not in Free lace.
Before ripping me apart please look at the facts first.

Karolina Jeffers
Three times Proficiency qualified teacher