If I make up a particular "grid" to fit the shape that I want to get in
the finished piece, does it still count as a grid?  You do need some
arrangement of dots to put pins in even in the free laces, right?

I just made a Torchon piece on a grid that was initially a square and
now is shaped something like if you made each side bend inward like a
")".  It also accidentally ended up with a circle with four roses in it
in the middle, which was nothing like a circle in the original square
piece.  Lots of fun.  Then I added four tape "arms" (each of a different
type of tape, since I don't know which looks best), and have a star!
<g>.  Designing is such fun!
I sure hope I'm not accidentally redesigning something someone already
came up with...

Weronika