In a message dated 24/08/2004 05:58:41 GMT Standard Time, Adele writes:

> Hi Weronika -
>
> you raised a couple of interesting questions. Copyright law recognizes
> that there is a process by which a copyright image or creation becomes
> changed, changed again, and further changed, and eventually is no
> longer the original image or creation at all. Unfortunately there is no
> hard-and-fast way to decide exactly where "adaptation" stops and
> "inspired by" begins.

More thoughts here -  I know that in the past we have agreed that if you make
a piece of lace and put the finished piece on your website you should
acknowlege the source of the pattern.  If you adapt a piece and put it up you
acknowlege the source of the original pattern and then explain your adaptation.  We
got that far last time.

Also, from the Mrs Channer mat discussion (and please let's not go there
again), we know that whilst the original pricking or photo of a piece of lace may
be available for us to copy from say a musuem collection, once someone true's
up that pricking or makes a pricking from the photo (with permission) their
new pricking now becomes their own work and their copyright.

Now here is a thought - I have a pattern which I bought last year for some
free lace.  Now the 'pricking' is not a pricking in the true sense of the word -
it is simply a the outline drawing of the pin lines with no holes marked.
(Yes, very free lace indeed).  When I make this lace I will obviously be
completing my own interpretation of the lace because how and where I put the pins are
my ideas and also which braids I use within the lace are my own ideas.

This means that the original idea for the lace is that of the designer but
the making of the lace becomes my own interpretation even if I try to copy the
picture supplied with the pattern because there are no pin marks to go by so I
cannot truely copy reproduce the lace.

So, my question here is where is the copyright?

If I'm right then I own copyright on my finished piece of lace because I have
no choice but to use my interpretation on it but I have no copyright on the
shape (ie outline) of the free lace because that came from the outline that is
the pattern.

What do you guys think?

Regards

Liz in London

I'm back blogging my latest lace piece - have a look by clicking on the link
or going to http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee