It would be nice if we English-speaking lace makers could standardize our terminology. At the moment, we have to find somewhere in the book/article how the author defines the two terms.

Here are the usual definitions:

U.S.: Cloth stitch is cross, twist, cross and Whole stitch is cross, twist, cross, twist (i.e. 2 half stitches making 1 whole stitch)
U.K.: Whole stitch is cross, twist, cross and Whole stitch and Twist is cross, twist, cross, twist ('cloth stitch' isn't used)

As a 'neutral' Canadian, I think the U.S. terminology is more logical and prefer to use it.