  From: bevw
  To: Lace Arachne
  Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:28 PM
  Subject: Re: [lace] Copyright, copying - of lace patterns

  This topic came from lace chat where the discussion is to do with original
  artworks (e.g. a painting).
  However, on the topic of 'copying' lace patterns, I shall add some random
  thoughts here:

  I agree it could be vexing if potential sales are hampered that a lace
group
  buys a single of a pattern and shares copies amongst themselves - although
  wouldn't call it stealing. Illegal use, sure (at least it is 'use'). What I
  would call 'stealing' is if someone were to put their own name on my
design!
  As a lace pattern designer myself, there are considerations - ' do I want
my
  designs out there and in use, or do I put a price on them, and try to
  control where they go? '

  Regarding Torchon patterns: on the regular grid, simply by recombining the
  various stitch elements characteristic of this lace, they are easy to
design
  for many of us. It isn't too difficult to look at a generic Torchon pattern
  or an existing lace and copy it from sight if one wants to - so this gave
me
  the thought about protecting the design - a good way to protect a design is
  to make it distinctive, recognizable to lacemakers as 'that' designer's
work
  - then if copied and passed around among friends, there won't be any doubt
  as to whose design it is. This gives respect to the design, even if money
  doesn't change hands, and protects the designer against someone else
passing
  it off as their own. There are many, many ways to recombine Torchon
  stitches, and we can substitute one for another depending on the pattern.
  When I do a Torchon pattern 'from scratch' I'm not really confident in
  calling it 'original' unless I make a drastic change from convention. One
  thing I tried was putting a 5-leaf crossing where technically only 4 should
  go - it wasn't easy to work <g> - originality in Torchon is hard to pin
down
  (pardon the pun).

  For copying lace patterns, therein lies a quandry also for the lacemaker -
  can we use 'copyright' lace patterns without copying them. Fortunately most
  copyright holders (and litigators) are agreeable to the personal use
clause.
  If not, then they don't want us to use their patterns -  and I guess better
  not to buy them  ;)

  One last thing, I don't understand how re-selling an original copy is
  illegal. The buyer owns the piece of paper, not the design. And on that
  line, auction houses and secondhand bookstores would be in big trouble
  <vbg>  but if there is a logical explanation, I'd welcome it.

  Others have weighed in, and I think I'll head off to do some lacing, or
  gardening...
  --
  Bev in Sooke BC (on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)