You are allowed to copy a percentage (10% I think) of a library book for your own personal use/study. That would surely cover you if you borrow a lace book and make one, maybe two, patterns from it. If it's an instruction book and you intend to work through all the instructions from cover to cover it's likely you would want to buy the book for yourself anyway - unless you are a very fast worker and can get through masses of new lace techniques in the few short weeks of the loan period.

Brenda