I love Queen Annes' Lace(the flower) and have tatted it up from an old book
pattern by Elgiva Nicholls "Technique and History of Tatting".  Gave it to
my mother in law.   We plan on planting this beautiful flower/weed/carrot in
our garden soon just like King James and Queen Anne did in their royal
garden.  It is actually a wild carrot called Daucus Carota and you can read
more info than you really wanted to know here:

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/history.html

Here is an exerpt from a website I found written by Jeff Myers(no relation
even tho I have a cousin with that name)

http://www.siu.edu/~ebl/leaflets/carrot.htm

The original wild-type carrots were thin, wiry, and varied in color from
white to purple, but not the common orange that we see today. Wild-type
carrots are also known as Queen Anne's Lace. The origin of the name is based
upon an English legend. Supposedly, when the future Queen Anne arrived from
Denmark to became the queen of King James I of England, wild carrot was
still a novelty in the royal gardens. The legend states that Queen Anne
challenged the ladies of the court to a contest to see who could produce a
pattern of lace as lovely as the flower of the carrot. The ladies knew that
no one could rival the queen's handiwork so it became a triumph for Anne
(Haughton, 1978). Other common names for wild carrot are bird's-nest and
devil's-plague.

This is an interesting subject and to see how it progresses ;)

Mark Myers, aka Tatman
In stormy Greenville, IL USA
Www.tat-man.net