And talking about stinkhorn fungus how is that project faring David?

Sue M Harvey
Norfolk UK

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of David in Ballarat
Sent: 01 June 2007 15:45
To: lace@arachne.com
Subject: [lace] Q.A. Lace continued

>Dear Friends,
>Us true prairie dwellers (Especially those in the Goose Lake Prairie
>State Natural Area, one of the largest Prairie Parks in the U.S.) know
Queen Anne's
>lace to be an invasive.   Since it is thought to have originated in
England,
>we still consider it an outsider after all these years.  As a weed, It
>will crowd out other prairie plants given time...but I also love it.
>My mother-in-law preferred it in her garden more-so that a rose
>bush....go figure?

Here in Australia it is also regarded as an invasive foreigner and I
rip it out by the roots as soon as it appears. We have another very
similar plant (also a weed), commonly known as "Carrot Fern". I'm
sure it's not the same thing as Queen Anne's Lace, although the
flower is similar and it does have a white tuber.

Then for yet another similar flower there is always Fennel. I don't
like fennel either cooked or in salads and also rip it out. I once
heard a comedian say that it was brought here by the Italians after
WW2 to plant alongside our railway lines - as that's where it's often
prolific.

For gorgeous "nature's lace" give me the Bridal Veil fern or even the
Stinkhorn fungus :)

David in Ballarat

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
01/06/2007 11:22