Liz & other lacemakers might like to know that when you haven't enough
thread to stay on the bobbin, a "clove hitch" works best. It works for me.

If you need to know to make this knot, here is an animated web-site:
<http://www.animatedknots.com/cloveboating/ <http://www.animatedknots.com/cloveboating/>>

Pene (with 10 more days until my doctor's appointment)
Tartu, Estonia

Liz Ligeti wrote:
I, too use spangled bobbins, and usually put the hitch on the thread.
I find that when the thread is getting run-down, and mostly used up, then the
hitches don't hold. Then I either push the thread up to the neck, or, if it
is too tight to move, I pull most of it off, and rewind it near to the
head, and then the hitch holds.

Otherwise, I wrap twice around the neck of the bobbin then add the
half-hitch, and that usually holds well. If that turns out too tight, I
delete one of the winds around the neck.

Regards from Liz in Melbourne, Oz.