Dear Alison,

I still haven't got round to analyzing my hitch yet. However, I do know from various students I've had, that if you'[ve wound your bobbins the wrong way, the hitch will not hold at all. Now, I'm only assuming that I wind my bobbins the same way as everyone else, but to check, if I point the head of the bobbin towards me then the thread goes round clockwise.
I'll try and get onto my hitch tomorrow

David in Ballarat

All the talk about hitches on bobbins reminded me of when I was teaching
my daughter and some of her friends to make lace some years ago.  I
discovered that one of the girls always wound her bobbins in the
opposite way to me and the others (winding towards herself, rather than
away).