Hi everyone

All the talk about hitches on bobbins reminded me of when I was teaching
my daughter and some of her friends to make lace some years ago.  I
discovered that one of the girls always wound her bobbins in the
opposite way to me and the others (winding towards herself, rather than
away).

She always did this so when I showed her how to do hitches I had to
teach myself how to do them the other way round so that I could teach
her.

I never had a teacher myself and learned with a Dryad lacemaking kit
which showed you how to put hitches on the top of the bobbin rather than
on the thread.  I found that they were always slipping and started to
put them on the thread.  I have found that this usually works unless the
thread is quite thick.

Alison in Essex