Dear Friends,

I have had a very busy week accompanying choirs at our local Eisteddfod, but it's over now. So tomorrow I shall endeavour to analyze the hitch I use on my bobbins.

It's definitely only a half hitch and it goes on the thread - not the neck. I nearly always use Pipers 2/20 silk and my single half hitch holds beautifully. For those in the know, it's the first half of a clove hitch, which I learned in the late 50s in the Cubs.
David in Ballarat

Using Pipers 20/2 for my first steps in Chantilly with the tutorial DVD by
Lia Baumeister, I also had problems at first with the slippery thread. But
since starting putting triple hitches on the bobbins, it doesn't slip any
more, but can still be unwinded nicely. For very thin cotton I also use a
double hitch.
I always make the hitch at the free top of the bobbin, not on the already
winded thread.